Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hillman Curtis The Great










I've been a professional artist and designer for 32 years now. Along the way I have been inspired by many great mentors and inspirational icons. Niles Martens, David Hardesty, Harrison Branch, Saul Bass, Brett Weston, Herb Lubalin, Paul Rand, Charles Spencer Anderson, McRay Magleby... Hillman Curtis.

Over the years, I would point many aspiring young design students towards Hillman Curtis. He was an early adopter of new media as a vital part of graphic design. He saw the marriage of film and web before most. He was an artist in the truest sense. And he was a communicator because words and language were integral to his work. He was a pioneer "hybrid-designer", excelling in music, photography, film-making, illustration, graphic design and teaching.


I met him once at a conference and shook his hand. He was abuzz with energy. I imagined that working with him would largely amount to simply trying to keep up with him. Over the years he became a touchstone artist for me. I always wanted to be aware of what Hillman Curtis was up to.

I found out today that Hillman passed away a few weeks ago. I don't even know him, but I will miss him. While you still can, go to his web site and find out a bit about his visionary work.

hillman curtis.com


No comments: