Friday, May 21, 2010

Up Close with Michelangelo


The last time I was in Rome, I went to the Vatican in hopes of seeing the Sistine Chapel for the second time. Perhaps the greatest single work of art in history, it is Michelangelo's masterpiece. Painted between 1508 and 1512, at the commission of Pope Julius II, it is one of the most renowned artworks of the High Renaissance. I had seen the chapel in 1976, and it had made a monumental impression upon me. That was also pre-restoration. Back then, the colors were dark and the paint had lost its lustre. The restoration of the 1990's had changed all that. The colors were apparently now revealed in their original glory. The paintings now glowed with their original energy. I could not wait to see it.

On arrival, I was informed that the chapel was closed as they were restoring certain parts of the artwork. There would be no entry for the entire duration of my stay in Rome. I had to settle for the post cards being sold just outside Saint Peter's Square. While I enjoyed my visit to the cathedral and the other parts of the Vatican, I was deeply disappointed.

Imagine my joy when I discovered this Sistine Chapel web site.

The Vatican has created an online virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel. It is fantastic in its quality. You can use your mouse to turn in any direction. You can look straight up to see the creation of Adam, or turn to your left to find Michelangelo's hidden self-portrait. You can even look down at the ancient tile floor. In the lower left corner is a zoom button, so you can take a closer look at any part of this massive creation. The interactive web environment puts you right in the Chapel, but without being surrounded by hordes of fellow tourists. You have the whole room to yourself as you listen to soft choral music that seems entirely appropriate. Needless to say, it would never be this good in real life.

My grateful thanks to the creators of this web site. While I would still relish another visit to this amazing room, I no longer feel like I missed something. Perhaps on my next trip to Italy I'll go to Venice instead. I've yet to visit Piazza San Marco.

1 comment:

mark said...

Amazing. Love how far it will let you zoom in!